- 6 June 1981 – Bihar train disaster, India: Hundreds are killed (300-800) when a train falls into a river.
- 17 July 1981 – A freight train slams into the back of a NARMADA EXPRESS train in Madhya Pradesh, India, killing 700 people and injuring 43.
- 19 July 1981 – In an incident blamed on sabotage, a train traveling to Ahmedabad from New Delhi, India, derailed in Gujarat, killing 30 people and injuring 70.
- 31 July 1981 – Six coaches of a train derail near Bahawalpur, India, killing 43 and injuring 50.
Early morning of 11 Feb 1981 three trains travelled on same track collide with each other in VANIYAMBADI 199 KM from CHENNAI killing many people.
- 27 January 1982 – A freight train and an express passenger train collided head-on in heavy fog near Agra, India, killing 50 and injuring 50.
- 20 March 1982 – A Mangalore-to-New Delhi train slammed into a tourist bus at a level crossing in Andhra Pradesh, snapping the bus in two, killing at least 59 people on the bus and injuring 25 others.
- 23 February 1985 – Rajnandgaon train fire, Madhya Pradesh, India: Over 50 people were killed when an express train catches fire.
- 13 June 1985 – Agra rail disaster, Argra, India: 38 people were killed in a collision.
- 10 March 1986 – Khagaria rail disaster, over 50 people are killed in a collision in Bihar.
- 8 July 1987 – Machieral rail disaster, 53 people killed in the derailment of a train in Andhra Pradesh.
- 8 July 1988 – Ashtamudi Lake rail disaster, passenger train falls in the lake after derailing, 107 people drowned.
- 18 April 1989 – Lalitpur rail disaster, near Lalitpur, Uttar Pradesh, India: 75 killed when train derails.
- 1 November 1989 – Sakaldiha, Uttar Pradesh: Udyan Abha Toofan Express derailed; 48 people died.
- 16 April 1990 – Patna rail disaster, near Patna, India: 70 killed as shuttle train is gutted by fire.
- 6 June 1990: Thirty-five killed in a train accident at Gollaguda in Andhra Pradesh.
- 25 June 1990: Sixty killed as a goods train rams into a passenger train at Mangra in Daltongunj in Bihar.
- Oct 10, 1990: Forty killed in a fire in a train near Cherlapalli in Andhra Pradesh.
- Oct 31, 1991: Thirty killed as Karnataka Express derails near Makalidurga ghats in Karnataka,about 60kms from Bangalore on a rainy evening.
- Sept 5, 1992: Forty-one killed in a train accident near Raigarh in Madhya Pradesh.
- 16 July 1993: Sixty killed in an accident in Darbhanga district of Bihar.
- Sept 21, 1993: Seventy-one killed as Kota-Bina passenger train collides with a goods train near Chhabra in Rajasthan.
- 3 May 1994: Thirty-five people killed as Narayanadri Express rams into a tractor in Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh.
- 26 Oct 1994: Twenty-seven killed as 8001 DN Mumbai – Hawrah mail caught fire on its S5 Sleeper class coach between Lotapahar and Chakradharpur stations (SE Railway) at 02.51 AM.
- 14 May 1995: Fifty-two people killed as Madras-Kanyakumari Express collides with a goods train near Salem.
- 1 June 1995: Seventy-three killed in two accidents in West Bengal and Orissa.
- Aug 20, 1995: Three hundred and two killed as Delhi-bound Purushottam Express rams into the stationary Kalindi Express near Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh.
- 18 April 1996: Sixty killed as Gorakhpur-Gonda passenger train rams into a stationary goods train at Domingarh near Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- 14 May 1996: Thirty-five of a marriage party killed as bus carrying them collides with the Ernakulam-Kayamkulam train at an unmanned level-crossing near Alappuzha in Kerala.
- 25 May 1996: Twenty-five killed as an Allahabad-bound passenger train rams into a tractor-trolley at an unmanned level crossing near Varanasi.
- Dec 30, 1996: Thirty-three people killed in a bomb blast on the Brahmaputra mail between Kokrajahar and Fakiragram stations in lower Assam.
- 8 July 1997: Thirty-three people killed in bomb blast on a passenger train at Lehra Khanna railway station in Bhatinda district in Punjab.
- 28 July 1997: Twelve people killed in a collision involving Karnataka Express and Himsagar Express near Faridabad on the outskirts of Delhi.
- Sept 14, 1997: Eight-one killed as five bogies of the Ahmedabad-Howrah Express plunge into a river in Bilaspur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- 4 April 1998: Eleven people killed near Fatuha station on Howrah-Delhi main line as Howrah-Danapur Express derails between Fatuha and Bankaghat stations.
- 24 April 1998: Twenty-four killed and 32 injured at Parali Vaijanath railway station in Maharashtra as 15 wagons of a goods train Ram into the Manmad-Kachiguda Express.
- Aug 13, 1998: Nineteen killed and 27 injured as a bus rams into the Chennai-Madurai Express train at an unmanned level-crossing on the new Karur-Salem bypass road on the outskirts of Karur town.
- Sept 24, 1998: Twenty people, including 14 school children, killed and 33 injured when a train engine rams into a bus at an unmanned level-crossing near Bottalaapalem village in Andhra Pradesh.
- Nov 26, 1998: Over 200 people die as Jammu Tawi-Sealdah Express rams into three derailed bogies of Amritsar-bound Frontier Golden Temple Mail near Ludhiana.
- 16 July 1999: Seventeen killed and over 200 injured as the new Delhi-bound Grand Trunk Express from Chennai collides with derailed wagons of a goods train near Mathura.
- Aug 2, 1999: 268 killed and 359 injured in a collision involving Awadh-Assam Express and Brahmaputra Mail at Gaisal in North Frontier Railway’s Katihar division.
- On 15 May, 2003, fire breaks out in Golden Temple Mail at 3.55 hrs between Ludhiana and Ladhowal stations, resulting in 36 deaths and 15 injuries
- On 22 June, 2003, the train engine and first four coaches of Karwar-Mumbai central Holiday Special derailed and capsized at about 21.15 hrs.52 persons lost their lives and 26 others were injured.
- On 2 July, 2003, Golconda Express derailed at Warangal station at 10.25 hrs. 21 persons were dead and 24 injured.
16 june 2004 matsyagandha express mangalore to mumbai derails when stiking with a huge boulder on konkan railway line. 14 dead
- 11 July 2006 – A series of bomb attacks strikes commuter trains in Mumbai, India, killing at least 200.
- 18 August 2006 two carriages catch fire on the Chennai-Hyderabad Express near Secundrabad station
- 9 November 2006 – India- 40 die and 15 injured in a West Bengal rail accident.
- 20 November 2006 – India- A bomb explodes on a train near Belacoba station in West Bengal, India, killing 7 and injuring 53. See 2006 West Bengal train disaster.
- 1 December 2006 – Bihar, India – Bhágalpur in the Ganges a portion of the 150-year-old ‘Ulta Pul’ bridge being dismantled collapsed over a passing train of India’s Eastern Railways, killing 35 and injuring 17.
- 13 February 2009 – India- Twelve carriages of the Coromandel Express derails soon after the train left Jajpur Road station near the city of Jajpur in the state of Orissa.Interestingly, the accident occurred on the day of Railway Budget presentation when Railway Minister Mr Lalu Prasad Yadav boasted about increased safety measures at Indian Railways.
- 21 October 2009 – India- 21 people died and several others injured when locomotive of Goa Express rammed the rearmost carriage of stationary Mewar Express near Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. Initially the railways officials held driver responsible for overlooking the signal but in the investigation it was proved that the signal was given green even though Mewar express was held up ahead due to chain pulling by passenger. Railways.
- 11th November 2009: 10 coaches of 6210 Mysore-Ajmer express derails 80kms bfore Pune;No casualities reported.
- 02 January 2010 – India- Three accidents involving five trains took place in Uttar Pradesh due to dense fog conditions.
- The first accident took place near the town of Etawah, about 170 miles (270 kilometers) southwest of Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh state, when the Lichchavi Expressentering the station rammed into the stationery Magadh Express train stopped there. Ten people, including the driver of one of the trains, were injured.
- In a second similar Gorakhdham Express and Prayagraj Express collided near the Panki railway station in Kanpur, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) southwest of Lucknow, and left five people dead and about 40 others injured.
- Another accident has been reported from Pratapgarh, 61 kms from Allahabad. The Sarayu Express broke into a tractor trolley at an unmanned railway crossing leading to the accident. Though nobody is injured following the incident, the engine of the train is severely destroyed.
- 03 January 2010 – India- All seven coaches of the Arunachal Pradesh Express, running between Murkongselek and Rangiya, derailed at a place between Helem and Nij Bogaon inAssam in the early hours of today, but none of the passengers was hurt.
- 16 January 2010 – India- Three people died and around a dozen were injured when two express trains(The Kalindi Express and Shram Shakti Express) collided in thick fog in India’s northern state of Uttar Pradesh on Saturday, 16 January 2010. The accident happened near Tundla, 25 kilometres from Agra, when the driver of one of the trains apparently did not react to a signal, slamming his train into another on the same track.
- 17 January 2010 – India- Two persons were killed and four others injured when their car was hit by a train at an unmanned crossing on Sunday afternoon in Barabanki district. The accident happened when the Lucknow-Sultanpur Harihar Nath Express hit the car at Barha railway crossing under Haidergarh police station area. Two persons traveling in the car died on the spot while the four others who sustained serious injuries have been referred to Trauma Centre in Lucknow. Train traffic on this route was disrupted for nearly two hours after the accident. This is the fifth accident in series of similar train accidents.
- 22 January 2010 – India- A goods train derailed near Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh on Friday, disrupting rail traffic in the region, officials said. No one was injured. The accident took place at Sathiyaon station near Azamgarh, some 300 km from here, when three bogeys of the goods train derailed, an official said. Traffic was disrupted on the busyVaranasi-Azamgarh-Gorakhpur route.
|1980 – 1986||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|1986 – 1991||Lal Krishna Advani||Karachi, British India||First Term|
|1991 – 1993||Murli Manohar Joshi||New Delhi|
|1993 – 1998||Lal Krishna Advani||Karachi, British India||Second Term|
|1998 – 2000||Kushabhau Thakre||Madhya Pradesh|
|2000 – 2001||Bangaru Laxman||Andhra Pradesh|
|2001 – 2002||Jana Krishnamurthi||Tamil Nadu|
|2002 – 2004||Venkaiah Naidu||Nellore, Andhra Pradesh|
|2004 – 2006||Lal Krishna Advani||Karachi, British India||Third Term|
|2006 – 2009||Rajnath Singh||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh|
|2009-||Nitin Gadkari||Nagpur, Maharashtra|
1. Pandit Ravi Shankar
2. Zakir Husain
3. Vikku Vinayak
4. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
5. A.R. Rehman – 52 Grammy Awward Function – two awards – one for song of Slumdog Millionaire “Jai ho” and second for Best Soundtrack composition for Slumdog Millionaire.
|2010||Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman||Arts||Tamil Nadu||India|
|2010||Y. Venugopal Reddy||Law and Public affairs||Delhi||India|
|2010||Venkatraman Ramakrishnan||Science & Engineering||United Kingdom*|
|2010||Prathap C. Reddy||Trade & Industry||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|A. R. Rahman||Art||Tamil Nadu||India|
|Chhannulal Mishra||Art||Uttar Pradesh||India|
|Kuzhur Narayana Marar||Art||Kerala||India|
|Madhusudan Amilal Dhaky||Art||Gujarat||India|
|Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana||Art||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|Shrinivas Vinayak Khale||Art||Maharashtra||India|
|B. K. Chaturvedi||Civil Service||Delhi||India|
|Moosa Raza||Civil Service||Delhi||India|
|P. R. Dubhashi||Civil Service||Maharashtra||India|
|Anil Bordia||Literature and Education||Rajasthan||India|
|Bipan Chandra||Literature and Education||Delhi||India|
|G. P. Chopra||Literature and Education||Delhi||India|
|Mohammad Amin||Literature and Education||Delhi||India|
|Satya Vrat Shastri||Literature and Education||Delhi||India|
|Tan Chung||Literature and Education||USA*|
|Belle Monappa Hegde||Medicine||Karnataka||India|
|E. T. Narayanan Mooss||Medicine||Kerala||India|
|Noshir M. Shroff||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Panniyampilly Krishna Warrier||Medicine||Kerala||India|
|Ramakant Madanmohan Panda||Medicine||Maharashtra||India|
|Satya Paul Agarwal||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Abhijit Sen||Public Affairs||Delhi||India|
|Sailesh Kumar Bandyopadhyay||Public Affairs||West Bengal||India|
|Sant Singh Chatwal||Public Affairs||USA*|
|Arogyaswami Joseph Paulraj||Science and Engineering||USA*|
|Bikash Chandra Sinha||Science and Engineering||West Bengal||India|
|Jagdish Chandra Kapur||Science and Engineering||Delhi||India|
|Balagangadharanatha Swamiji||Social Work||Karnataka||India|
|Balasaheb Vikhe Patil||Social Work||Maharashtra||India|
|C. P. Krishnan Nair||Trade and Industry||Maharashtra||India|
|Kushal Pal Singh||Trade and Industry||Delhi||India|
|Manvinder Singh Banga||Trade and Industry||UK*|
|Narayanan Vaghul||Trade and Industry||Tamil Nadu||India|
|S. P. Oswal||Trade and Industry||Punjab||India|
|Shri Gulam Mohammed Mir||Public Service||Jammu and Kashmir||India|
|Shri Arjun Prajapati||Art||Rajasthan||India|
|Ms. Arundhati Nag||Art||Karnataka||India|
|Ms. Carmel Berkson||Art||Maharashtra||India|
|Ustad F. Wasifuddin Dagar||Art||Delhi||India|
|Smt. Gul Bardhan||Art||Madhya Pradesh||India|
|Smt. Haobam Ongbi Ngangbi Devi||Art||Manipur||India|
|Shri Hari Uppal||Art||Bihar||India|
|Shri K. Raghavan||Art||Kerala||India|
|Guru Mayadhar Raut||Art||Delhi||India|
|Shri Mukund Lath||Art||Rajasthan||India|
|Shri Nemai Ghosh||Art||West Bengal||India|
|Pandit Raghunath Panigrahi||Art||Orissa||India|
|Shri Rajkumar Achouba Singh||Art||Manipur||India|
|Dr. Ram Dayal Munda||Art||Jharkhand||India|
|Shri Resul Pokutty||Art||Kerala||India|
|Shri Saif Ali Khan||Art||Maharashtra||India|
|Dr. (Smt.) Shobha Raju||Art||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|Ms. Sumitra Guha||Art||Delhi||India|
|Pandit Ulhas Kashalkar||Art||West Bengal||India|
|Shri D.R. Karthikeyan||Civil Service||Delhi||India|
|Dr. Ranjit Bhargava||Environment Protection||Uttarakhand||India|
|Shri Arun Sarma||Literature and Education||Assam||India|
|Prof. Arvind Kumar||Literature and Education||Maharashtra||India|
|Ms. Bertha Gyndykes Dkhar||Literature and Education||Meghalaya||India|
|Prof. Govind Chandra Pande||Literature and Education||Madhya Pradesh||India|
|Prof. Hamidi Kashmiri||Literature and Education||Jammu and Kashmir||India|
|Prof. (Dr.) Hermann Kulke||Literature and Education||Germany*|
|Shri Janaki Ballav Shastri||Literature and Education||Bihar||India|
|Dr. Jitendra Udhampuri||Literature and Education||Jammu and Kashmir||India|
|Dr. Lal Bahadur Singh Chauhan||Literature and Education||Uttar Pradesh||India|
|Shri Lalzuia Colney||Literature and Education||Mizoram||India|
|Ms. Maria Aurora Couto||Literature and Education||Goa||India|
|Dr. (Smt.) Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy||Literature and Education||Tamilnadu||India|
|Prof. Ramaranjan Mukherji||Literature and Education||West Bengal||India|
|Dr. Ranganathan Parthasarathy||Literature and Education||Tamilnadu||India|
|Fr. Romuald D’Souza||Literature and Education||Goa||India|
|Prof. Sadiq-ur-Rahman Kidwai||Literature and Education||Delhi||India|
|Mr. Sheldon Pollock||Literature and Education||United States*|
|Dr. Surendra Dubey||Literature and Education||Chhattisgarh||India|
|Dr. Anil Kumar Bhalla||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Dr. B. Ramana Rao||Medicine||Karnataka||India|
|Dr. Jalakantapuram Ramaswamy Krishnamoorthy||Medicine||Tamil Nadu||India|
|Dr. K.K. Aggarwal||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Prof. Kodaganur S. Gopinath||Medicine||Karnataka||India|
|Dr. Laxmi Chand Gupta||Medicine||Delhi||India|
|Dr. Philip Augustine||Medicine||Kerala||India|
|Dr. Rabindra Narain Singh||Medicine||Bihar||India|
|Dr. Vikas Mahatme||Medicine||Maharashtra||India|
|Dr. Rafael Iruzubieta Fernandez||Public Affairs||Spain|
|Prof. M.R. Satyanarayana Rao||Science and Engineering||Karnataka||India|
|Prof. (Dr.) Palpu Pushpangadan||Science and Engineering||Kerala||India|
|Prof. Ponisseril Somasundaran||Science and Engineering||United States*|
|Prof. Pucadyil Ittoop John||Science and Engineering||Gujarat||India|
|Dr. Vijay Prasad Dimri||Science and Engineering||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|Dr.(Ms.) Vijaylakshmi Ravindranath||Science and Engineering||Karnataka||India|
|Ms. Anu Aga||Social Work||Maharashtra||India|
|Shri Ayekpam Tomba Meetei||Social Work||Manipur||India|
|Shri Deep Joshi||Social Work||Delhi||India|
|Dr. J.R. Gangaramani||Social Work||United Arab Emirates*|
|Shri Kranti Shah||Social Work||Maharashtra||India|
|Dr. Kurian John Melamparambil||Social Work||Kerala||India|
|Baba Sewa Singh||Social Work||Punjab||India|
|Ms. Sudha Kaul||Social Work||West Bengal||India|
|Dr. Sudhir M. Parikh||Social Work||United States*|
|Kumar Ram Narain Karthikeyan||Sports||Tamil Nadu||India|
|Shri Ramakant Vithal Achrekar||Sports||Maharashtra||India|
|Ms. Saina Nehwal||Sports||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|Shri Vijender Singh||Sports||Haryana||India|
|Shri Virendra Sehwag||Sports||Delhi||India|
|Dr. Alluri Venkata Satyanarayana Raju||Trade and Industry||Andhra Pradesh||India|
|Dr. B. Raveendran Pillai||Trade and Industry||Bahrain*|
|Shri Deepak Puri||Trade and Industry||Delhi||India|
|Shri Irshad Mirza||Trade and Industry||Uttar Pradesh||India|
|Brig. Dr. Kapil Mohan||Trade and Industry||Himachal Pradesh||India|
|Dr. Karsanbhai Khodidas Patel||Trade and Industry||Gujarat||India|
|Shri T.N. Manoharan||Trade and Industry||Tamilnadu||India|
|Shri Venu Srinivasan||Trade and Industry||Tamilnadu||India|